Monday, August 2, 2010

The Power of the internet

Lately, I have been reading a lot about social media and how you can use it in business. I have been very reluctant to embrace this trend in business. To me, furniture is a consumer good which needs to be touched and felt, sat in and sat on. So, using the Internet to sell a product like furniture just didn't make sense to me. Until the other, when I received a phone call from a consumer who has one of our old "Umphred's" collection of sofa's. Guess how she found Cypress....the Internet. She searched Umphreds and found my blog, describing how Cypress was now the old Umphreds. This is even more of a lesson to learn, because we love to reupholster our old furniture, because it proves our point, that we build furniture which is made to last and built to be reupholstered. So the prospect of losing an opportunity to reupholster one of our old frames because someone could not find us, is a clear message to embrace the Internet and furniture! But, don't get the wrong idea...I don't think I will be building a sofa with a built-in lap top in the arm!
Thanks again!
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment