Tuesday, March 31, 2009

All Natural Cleaning Products and Healthy Food


I had a very interesting conversation this past weekend. I was at some friends and was talking to a small group of their neighbors. They were all talking about how we all need to “do our part” to help protect the environment. They all came from different perspectives; health concerns for their children, environment concerns over limited resources, landfills overflowing, etc. They talked about using natural cleaning products, range free chicken, and planting trees.
Somehow the conversation came around to home design. The friends who I was visiting said they wanted a new sofa for their family room. I joked and said they had better not get one from anywhere else but my company (Note: Yes, we only sell to the trade, but since I am the owner, friends do get special consideration!) Well, they said they would love to, but my sofas are too expensive. Now, I am aware that my furniture is expensive and not for everyone. So we started talking about furniture and prices. What surprised me the most, was that all these people thought cheap furniture was a great way to decorate. They could use it and then when they were tired of it, just get rid of it and get something new.
I was shocked at their thinking. I told them my furniture as well as my business philosophy was totally contrary to what they were saying. How could they be so concerned about health food, eco-friendly cleaning products, old growth rain forest depletion, and yet purchase “throw-away” furniture? I was a great opportunity for me to tell people about quality furniture and the benefits to the environment, their health concerns, and to their own lifestyle and quality of life. I hope it was educational and maybe one of them will think about furniture the same way they think about buying natural cleaning products!!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great topic. Where did this "Throw away" society come from. My parents generation does NOT think this way. My 50 year old brother DOES. I have to admit I have some of this mentality too. I would like see more about this.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete